Rx: Playing harmonics cleanly.
Discussion of two reasons to work with harmonics early in your study:
- building the correct shape of the hand for thumb position
- build confidence in the higher positions
Some specific mechanical issues addressed:
- where to put the finger when playing harmonics on upright bass
- how to reach the high harmonics by shifting weight/posture
One of Lisa Dowling’s compositions performed at Manhattan School of Music. Great textures and color. I want to learn this one!
Rx: Learn to play Nino Rota’s Divertimento Concertante, especially the harmonics
In the course of working on this piece during a masterclass in Bogota Columbia, Bradetich discusses the following topics:
- changing speed of bow between closed note melodic gestures and harmonic melodic gestures
- an exercise for playing closed notes and harmonic notes
- coordination and rhythms
- a way to sense if a new fingering might be better than a previously learned fingering
- angle of bow in harmonics