Alex Henery plays double bass for Tan Dun’s “The Wolf” concerto.
Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra featuring Stuart Thomson will perform the Australian premiere of Tan Dun’s bass concerto: The Wolf.
The rest of the program looks exciting as well:
- Firebird Suite — Stravinsky
- Song of the Nightingale — Stravinsky
- Tree Line — Takemitsu
The Asian premiere of Tan Dun’s concerto for double bass, The Wolf, based on the novel Wolf Totem by Jiang Rong.
- C. Debussy: Rhapsody for Clarinet and Orchestra
- Tan Dun: Percussion Concerto “The Tears of Nature”
- Tan Dun: “The Wolf” Contrabass Concerto
- Maurice Ravel: Bolero
Double bassist …
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra gives the UK premiere of Tan Dun’s Concerto for Double Bass “The Wolf” with Marcel Becker on double bass. Ravel, Hindemith, and Shostakovich round out the evening.
- Le Tombeau de Couperin – Maurice Ravel
- Concerto for double bass – Tan Dun
- Concerto for Orchestra Op 38 – Paul Hindemith
- Symphony No 9 in …
Dominic Seldis will be performing the world premier of Tan Dun’s “The Wolf” Concerto for Double Bass with the Concertgebouw Orchestra.
Here is an introductory video:
What happens when a bassist and composer are preparing for the premiere of a new work?
In this video you get a chance to see and hear how Dominic Seldis and Tan Dun worked together to prepare the double bass concerto The Wolf (known as “Wolf Totem” in its earlier stages). Always useful to see two masters at work together.