A concert of music composed by Italians featuring Paul Erhard with the Whatcom Symphony.
- Gabrieli: Canzon septimi toni a 8
- Rossini: Overture to La Gazza Ladra
- Rota: Divertimento Concertante for Contrabass & Orchestra
Paul Erhard, contrabass
- Puccini: Intermezzo from Manon Lescaut
- Respighi: Pines of Rome
A broadcast of new music performed by the Wichita Symphony including Nino Rota’s Divertimento. Original performance was in October of 2014.
It may be from 1996, but still a fun recording of this staple. Gennady Krutikov in the third and fourth movements of Divertimento by Nino Rota. Elena Lebed on piano.
Alexandre Ritter’s Doctoral thesis (DMA under the Direction of Milton Masciadri and David Haas at University of Georgia) titled “Franco Petracchi and the Divertimento Concertante per Contrabass e Orchestra by Nino Rota: A successful collaboration between composer and performer.”
It’s a doctoral thesis so get your reading glasses. If you do, you will be rewarded with the knowledge that there is a second, unpublished version of this cornerstone work for bass—some examples of which are in this thesis.
Also, you’ll learn how the piece influenced Petracchi’s pedagogical approach vice versa. This ultimately leads to the revised and yet unpublished version of Divertimento Concertante.
Interviews with Petracchi are also included.
Rx: Learn to play Nino Rota’s Divertimento Concertante, especially the harmonics
In the course of working on this piece during a masterclass in Bogota Columbia, Bradetich discusses the following topics:
- changing speed of bow between closed note melodic gestures and harmonic melodic gestures
- an exercise for playing closed notes and harmonic notes
- coordination and rhythms
- a way to sense if a new fingering might be better than a previously learned fingering
- angle of bow in harmonics
Shostakovich: Adagio from The Lady and the Holligan
Anderson: 7 Duets for two Double Basses with Kassie Ferrero: Double Bass
Hindemith: Sonata for Double Bass and Piano (1949)
Deak: B.B. Wolf (An Apologia) for Double Bass and Narrator (one person)
Rota: Divertimente Concertante for Double Bass …